Thursday, March 31, 2011

HOW TO: Remember where you left it...


A common problem I believe everyone has at some point is simply remembering where you put down your keys, or your wallet, or your phone. At least three times a day before learning this technique, I would be searching frantically for the car keys, my ipod, or even my phone. I could just never remember where I had set these things down, it's like the underpants gnomes came and hid them from me. Well worry no more, those devious underpants gnomes won't be back to steal anything! By using this simple technique you can always remember where you left that oh-so-important yet never-where-you-left-it item!

I use a simple technique, well more of a habit, of making a physical and mental motion to firmly set the object's location in my brain. For example, before putting down my wallet I open it up, show myself a quick glance of all the bills, credit cards, licenses, IDs, and everything else within the wallet, then I put it down. This works because you know that all of those things are valuable, and by seeing it your brain will make an effort to keep in memory where these items are. You are essentially associating the location of your wallet with things of value, instead of just a leather wallet.

This works in a similar way to writing down something you don't want to forget. If, for example, you make a note to get milk while at the grocery store, you'll generally notice that at the grocery store you won't need to look at your note to remember it. Just the act of writing and seeing it further ingrained getting milk in your head, just as the act of physically opening your wallet and seeing everything inside will aid you in remembering where it was left.

You can use this technique for anything really. Before putting down your car keys, imagine walking into your car, and physically make the motion with the keys to start the car. I bet you'll be amazed next time you need those pesky keys that hid themselves on the upstairs bathroom sink.

16 comments:

  1. Another good way to remember to take something with you is to place it under your keys, of course, if you lose your keys a lot I guess you are SOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lose things all the time and they eventually turn up on their own, I swear it seems like a ghost moves my things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im with prowler but in my lands Gnomes and Goblins move your stuff, if you suspect about them just Curse them out of your place yell at them swear words and your stuff should be fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put everything in the same place all the time...works great :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oddly enough I'm good at finding where my things are, sort of an organized chaos, and it keeps my stuff hiding from others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another interesting read! Great blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great read! I do this crap all the time! I try out some of these tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. hm, mark it with google maps, you'll find it everywhere xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog style! Keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just always leave my wallet in my pants, the next morning I swap them to my new pants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good common sense!

    Followed :)
    feel free to check me out at
    neurothoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahahah awsome advice, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This method works, it's a good way to memorize objects and simple things, I use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete